Celebrating the engagement of a loved one is always a special time! After hearing about the good news, you may decide to send an engagement card to share your excitement and well wishes. But what should you actually write in an engagement card to make it memorable, personal, and meaningful?
No matter what your relationship is to the happy couple, we’ve got you covered with our ultimate guide to engagement card wishes below. Keep reading for our tips on exactly what to write in an engagement card, whether you’re a parent, sibling, or close friend.
Engagement Card Etiquette
So, what do you need to know before sending out an engagement card? Are there any specific “rules” to follow?
The good news is, engagement cards are generally short and sweet. While there are no super strict guidelines, the following FAQs should get you started on the right track:
Do you have to send an engagement card?
Sending an engagement card is definitely optional, but we think it’s a great way to acknowledge this exciting life event for your loved one! An engagement card is more personal than a text or email and is likely to be cherished by the happy couple. Sending an engagement card is even more appropriate when it comes to close friends or family members like your son, daughter, sibling, or best friend.
When should you send an engagement card?
There are no deadlines when it comes to sending an engagement card, but preferably, you’ll want to send it shortly after the news has been announced. In saying that, you can send an engagement card whenever you want, as long as it’s before the wedding!
Do you need to send a gift, too?
Not necessarily. An engagement card can absolutely be sent alone without a gift. However, if you’re attending a formal engagement party, you may want to pair your card with something small like a bottle of wine or a gift voucher.
What should an engagement card message include?
Crafting the perfect engagement card message comes down to 3 key elements:
- A message of congratulations
- Some kind words about the couple. Preferably, this will be something genuine and unique to your relationship, like a favourite memory, anecdote, or inside joke.
- Some well wishes for the future – for example, to a lifetime of love and happiness, a smooth wedding planning journey, or an epic wedding celebration.
Your engagement card message should ultimately be influenced by your relationship with the recipient. For example, if you’re writing an engagement card for your son or daughter, it may be more sentimental – but if it’s your closest childhood friend, it makes sense to include some witty banter and personal jokes! Most importantly, it should have a warm, positive tone and be written from the heart.
Keep reading for some engagement card wording ideas to inspire you for every situation.
What to Write in an Engagement Card: Son or Daughter
A son or daughter getting engaged is a big moment for your entire family, and a thoughtful engagement message is the perfect way to mark this life event.
When writing an engagement card message for your child, it’s absolutely appropriate to be more heartfelt in your wording. You may want to reflect on how they’ve grown over the years, and how happy you are to welcome their partner into your family. You can even include some of your own thoughts on marriage, and your key pieces of advice for the happy couple.
An engagement card for your child can be written from both parents, or you can send individual cards instead. Whatever best suits your circumstances!
Draw inspiration from these engagement wishes for a son or daughter:
- To my (son/daughter) – congratulations on your engagement. We couldn’t be more elated that you’ve found your perfect partner in (partner name), and can’t wait to officially welcome (him/her) into the family.
- It seems like only yesterday you were (insert memory/anecdote), and now, here you are embarking on one of life’s greatest adventures. We wish you and (partner name) lots of love and happiness during this time, and look forward to watching you learn and grow together.
- (Name), we feel many emotions on this occasion – joy, pride, excitement, and most of all, happiness that you’ve found someone as wonderful as (partner name) to share your life with. Remember, there will be good and bad times, but you will always have each other. We wish you nothing but the best for the future.
- (Name), as you prepare to enter this exciting new chapter of your life, I wanted to share some advice to take with you into marriage – (insert advice/quote).
- Our very best wishes to you both on your engagement. We’re excited to watch you share your vows and embark on this next chapter – but even more so, excited to watch you grow together through marriage.
- (Name), you have grown up to be an incredible (man/woman), and I couldn’t be happier about your engagement and upcoming marriage. I’m so proud to be your (mother/father).
- (Name), it makes us so happy to see how happy (partner name) makes you. As parents, it’s all we could ever ask for, and we’re so fortunate to welcome them into our family, too.
What to Write in an Engagement Card: Brother or Sister
When writing an engagement card for your brother or sister, draw some cues from the kind of sibling relationship you share.
Do you have a close bond? If so, go ahead and crack an inside joke or reminisce on your favourite memories together. Not super tight? Keep it simple with a few meaningful words and warm wishes for the future. Don’t forget to include your sibling’s fiance in the message, too – after all, you’re about to welcome a new brother or sister-in-law to the family!
Use the following examples to help you write the perfect engagement card for your sibling:
- Finally, you’re engaged! I’m beyond excited for you and (partner name) – I can see how happy you are, and how much joy (he/she) brings you. I couldn’t ask for a better (brother/sister-in-law).
- Congratulations on your engagement! I’ve looked up to you my whole life, and now I get to watch you marry the (man/woman) of your dreams. I’m so happy for you and (partner name).
- (Name), I know our family can be a little weird, which is why I’m so glad you’ve found another weirdo to join our tribe. Can’t wait for a lifetime of Scrabble, charades, and loud family dinners together.
- Congratulations, (sister/brother!). Even though we annoy the heck out of each other, you deserve the world. I’m so happy you’ve found someone who makes you as happy as (partner name). Looking forward to many more adventures together.
- Remember when we used to spend hours playing dress-ups and describing our dream (husband/wife?). Well, I reckon you hit the jackpot with (partner name). Welcome to the family!
- Words can’t describe how happy I am to see you find true love – you deserve it. Oh, and don’t forget I have a lifetime of embarrassing stories to share about you, so get ready for an unforgettable speech at the wedding.
- Congratulations, you two! Sending all of my love during this exciting time. Can’t wait for another (brother/sister) to join the family!
- Congratulations! I’ve always wanted another (brother/sister), and now I get one. (Partner name), you bring (sibling name) so much joy, and I couldn’t be happier to watch you build a beautiful life together.
- Lots of love to the best (sister/brother) in the world and (her/his) new fiance. Enjoy every moment of this journey towards marriage together!
What to Write in an Engagement Card: Bridesmaid/Groomsmen
As a member of the wedding party, it’s safe to say you probably share a close relationship with one (or both) members of the happy couple. Take this opportunity to reminisce on your friendship, and share your excitement and gratitude about playing such an important role on their big day:
- I can’t believe my best friend is engaged, and that I get to stand by your side on the happiest day of your life! Congratulations on finding your perfect person – I’m honoured to call myself your (maid of honor/bridesmaid/groomsman/best man).
- (Name), of all the moments we’ve celebrated in our life together, this is the best so far. Congratulations – you’re a match made in heaven, and I’m over the moon that I get to watch you make it official!
- It seems like only yesterday we were (insert memory/anecdote), and now look at us – I’m about to help you get married! When did we become so grown-up? Thank you for including me in your wedding day, I can’t wait to celebrate with you both.
- Congratulations to my best friend on your engagement! (Name), I’m here for anything you need, whether that’s addressing envelopes, writing thank you cards, or bringing you a bottle of wine when you’re feeling stressed (like we need another excuse!)
- I can’t wait to watch you start your lives together – and with a front-row seat, too! I can honestly say I’ve never seen you so happy, and I feel so privileged to be involved in your special day.
- Congratulations, guys! You two are not only a perfect couple, but also two of my best friends. I can’t wait to celebrate with you!
- (Name), congratulations on your engagement. I’m so proud of you for making the best decision of your life. No, not (partner name) – I mean choosing me to be your (best man/maid of honor)!
What to Write in an Engagement Card: Simple Engagement Wishes
Looking for some simple but foolproof engagement card wishes for a friend, relative or acquaintance? Be inspired by these short and sweet messages that work for any situation:
- So happy to hear about the news – you guys make a great couple! Wishing you all the best with the lead-up to the wedding, and for a beautiful future together.
- Congratulations, you two! May you bring each other as much happiness as your friendship has brought me.
- Congratulations, (names!). You really are a perfect match. Sending you all of my love as you prepare to start this next chapter together.
- Congratulations! I’m thrilled to hear your exciting news. Wishing you a wonderful engagement and a lifetime of happiness together.
- Congratulations to the bride and groom-to-be! It’s always a great thing to see two people find their perfect life partner. All the best with your wedding plans, and we look forward to celebrating with you on the day.
- Sending you my warmest congratulations on your engagement – I hope you enjoy every minute of this exciting time. Go make a beautiful life together!
- Congratulations to a wonderful couple. I’m so happy to hear you and (partner name) are taking this next step together. It’s going to be an amazing adventure!
What to Write in an Engagement Card: Funny Engagement Wishes
If the sentimental stuff is not really your style, why not crack a cheeky joke or insert some humour into your engagement card message? A word of warning: only do this if you share a close relationship with the recipient, and know it will be well-received!
These funny engagement card wishes are perfect for a more playful approach:
- Congratulations (name), I’m so happy for you and your new ring. Um, I mean, fiancé!
- Congratulations, guys – I’m so glad two weirdos like you found each other.
- Happy engagement! I can’t wait to get drunk on expensive champagne at your wedding.
- Congratulations on your engagement, (name). I’m so happy you’ve avoided becoming a crazy cat lady!
- So happy to hear your news! Congrats on finding the one person you get to officially annoy for the rest of your life.
- Congratulations on your engagement! Finally, a wedding I actually want to attend!
- So, I know you just got engaged, but when is it too early to start planning the (hens/bucks) party? Asking for a friend…
- Happy engagement, guys! I’m so excited for the open bar. Oops, I mean, the wedding!
Wedding Guest 101
Now that you’ve nailed the engagement card, how else can you be the best wedding guest ever? Read our guide on RSVP-ing to a wedding invitation (the right way!), or check out our wording ideas and examples for a wedding card here.