If you’ve chosen to create a wedding website for your upcoming nuptials, one of the most daunting tasks can be writing your About Us section.
Let’s be honest, writing about yourself can feel a little awkward! Communicating the practical stuff like venue directions and transport options is super straightforward, but when it comes to the more personal side of things? Total mind blank!
We know that writing the About Us section of your wedding website can be tricky. But, your About Us section is usually one of the most memorable additions to your wedding website, so it’s worth taking some time to make it just right.
From brainstorming ideas, to making your story authentic and engaging, we’re here to help. Keep reading for some helpful wording examples and guidelines for your wedding website About Us story!
Why Write an About Us story?
You might be wondering if you really need to include an “About Us” section on your wedding website in the first place. A wedding website is just for communicating the practical details, right?
Personally, we think your wedding website is also an opportunity to set the tone for your event and get your guests excited about the big day to come! Writing an About Us story is the perfect way to add some personality into your wedding website, while also giving your guests some insight into your relationship.
Remember too that there will probably be some guests on your partner’s side who you may not be familiar with, and vice versa. For example, work colleagues, old school friends or relatives who you haven’t yet had the opportunity to meet and mingle with in person.
Creating an About Us story is a good way to break the ice and allow your guests to learn a little more about who you are and your relationship journey so far. If you’ve been together for a while, chances are some of your guests might not even remember how you guys met or where it all began! Your About Us story allows both you and your guests to take a trip down memory lane, before you say your I-dos.
Choose Your “About Us” Story Format
Sitting down to fill out the empty About Us section of your wedding website can be overwhelming, so the first simple decision you might want to make is the format of the story itself.
Will you put your heads together and create one combined story from the both of you? Or will you each write an individual story from your own point of view?
Really, there’s no right or wrong answer when it comes to the format of your About Us story. You might want to have a go at both options, and choose a format that feels the most natural for you!
In saying this, there are a few formatting guidelines you might want to keep in mind when creating your About Us story.
- Keep it short and sweet – your About Us story doesn’t have to be an essay! Between 100 – 250 words is usually ideal to give your guests a brief summary of your relationship journey so far.
- Make sure your story is easy to read. Instead of lumping all of the details into one long, winding paragraph, include a break after every 2-3 sentences.
- If you’ve decided to write individual stories, set some shared guidelines first in terms of length, tone and inclusions so that both stories complement each other. If you’ve only written 3 sentences but your partner has written a 500-word poem, there’s going to be a mismatch!
Once you’ve settled on your About Us story format, you’ll have a helpful framework to move forward with the next steps.
Knowing exactly what to include (and what not to include) in your About Us story is usually the trickiest part of the entire process!
With this in mind, often the best method is to begin with a brainstorming session to get all of your ideas down first without any pressure. This will get the ball rolling and provide you with a great starting point.
When it comes to the details you might want to include throughout your About Us story, think back to your relationship journey so far, right back to where it all began. Your About Us story should include your favourite memories and milestone moments, while also reflecting your unique personalities and the love you share for each other.
- Consider the following prompts to help you with your brainstorming session:
- Where/when/how you both met
- Your first date
- Other memorable dates
- Shared interests, hobbies and activities
- Milestone moments such as moving in together, buying your first home, additional family members like kids and pets
- Travel experiences
- Funny memories
- Personality traits
- Things you love about each other
- The proposal story
- Plans for the future
- When you think about your partner and your relationship so far, what are the moments that you look back on and smile? These memorable moments are usually the best place to start when it comes to writing an authentic and engaging About Us story.
Writing Tips and Wording Examples
Once you’ve brainstormed a list of ideas, experiences and relationship milestones, you can now begin expanding on your About Us story in more detail.
Although there are no strict wording rules or templates to follow, use the following tips as a helpful guideline as you begin pulling your About Us story together:
- Write conversationally, just like you would genuinely talk in real life. Your About Us story should reflect your personality, and not sound like a robot!
- Keep your About Us story fun and light-hearted – it shouldn’t be uncomfortable for guests to read. Save the more serious sentiments for your vows, instead.
- Remember, your About Us story is an insight into your relationship, not a biography from your date of birth through to your education and employment history! Stick to the relevant memories and experiences shared between both you and your partner that have contributed to where you are today.
- Including humour throughout your About Us story is a great way to put a smile on your guest’s faces, so don’t be afraid to have some fun with it. With this being said, it’s best to avoid any inside jokes that none of your guests will understand, which may cause confusion.
Use your brainstorming session as inspiration and consider how you can create a story that “flows” by connecting these points together. Consider pulling out 5 or 6 of your favourite details, and start expanding on these to create full sentences.
Take some inspiration from the following About Us wording examples to see how this looks in action:
Kurt and Jemima first crossed paths during a competitive game of trivia at the local tavern.
After some cheeky back and forth banter, numbers were exchanged and a first date took place the very next day with dinner and a movie. It was only 4 weeks later that Jemima packed her bags and moved in with Kurt, and their whirlwind romance began.
5 years later, we’ve spent a 6-month stint in Queenstown, bought our very first home, and welcomed 2 mischievous kittens to our family. After travelling through New Zealand, Kurt finally popped the question – and Jemima said yes!
We are so looking forward to starting this new chapter together, and can’t wait to celebrate with all of our favourite people.
It was 2013 when Katie and Tyler’s love story first began, just 2 single twenty-somethings who happened to swipe right on Tinder.
After discovering a mutual love of red wine, travel, and cheesy rom-coms, it wasn’t long before Katie and Tyler packed all of their belongings into a camper van for an epic year travelling around Australia.
Described by their friends and family as “two peas in a pod”, Katie and Tyler now spend their weekends living by the beach, surfing (or in Katie’s case, trying to), walking their pups and renovating their very first home.
After 4 years of engagement (and planning procrastination!), the time is right for us to officially tie the knot, and we couldn’t be more excited.
Harry and Sally first met when studying at the University of Melbourne in 2009.
It wasn’t long before their friendly study sessions became weekly sushi and saké dates at their local Japanese bar. Harry was drawn to Sally’s cheeky sense of humour, while Sally couldn’t resist Harry’s bad jokes and patterned shirts.
After an initial hiccup with Harry nearly burning his apartment down the first time he cooked Sally a home-cooked meal (she has the photos to prove it!), we’ve since backpacked through Europe and recently relocated to the Sunshine Coast where Harry proposed just a few months ago.
Now, after nearly 9 years together, we can’t wait to tie the knot and start our happily ever after!
Once you’ve finished writing your About Us story, you might want to have a friend or family member read over it with fresh eyes to get their feedback.
Think back to the About Us stories you may have read from previous weddings – are there any that stand out to you, and if so, why?
The best About Us stories are usually the perfect balance of romantic and fun. Don’t be afraid to inject your personality into your About Us story and get creative!
Have Fun With It!
Although the concept of writing your About Us story may seem daunting at first, it might just turn out to be one of the most memorable elements in the lead up to your wedding. Not to mention, a special way to reflect on your relationship journey so far.
So simply keep these helpful writing tips in mind and we promise – you might even have fun throughout the process!
Ready to fill out the rest of your wedding website sections? Check out some more wedding website wording examples on the blog.